Hybrid Training Opportunity at the ITEEA Annual Conference
As part of a National Science Foundation-sponsored project, Stevens Institute of Technology is offering teachers the opportunity to participate in a hybrid training course for WaterBotics—a rich and exciting underwater robotics project using LEGO® building materials. The course will commence with a full-day preconference workshop at the 2014 ITEEA Conference in Orlando, FL, followed by 1-4 online modules, 2-3 hours each, offered shortly after the conference.
Key details are as follows:
- Stevens will conduct a full-day, preconference workshop on Wednesday, March 26, 2014 for 20 participants.
- This session will be followed by 1-4 online modules, 2-3 hours each, to be completed in the spring of 2014. To maximize flexibility for participants, these modules will mostly be self-directed, consisting of written materials, videos, screencasts, simulations, and sample programs. At the end of each week there will be a scheduled web support session to answer questions, provide help, and allow participants to learn what others are doing. Participants must complete at least 1 online module and are encouraged to complete all 4.
- Participants will be selected through an application process, with preference given to those with a background in or experience teaching science, programming, robotics, or engineering.
- Each participant will receive reimbursement for his/her conference registration and a $300 stipend pending completion of the face-to-face training, at least one online session, and pre- and post-training surveys.
- Each participant will receive a WaterBotics site license valued at $200.
- Participants are encouraged to obtain the minimum necessary equipment needed to fully engage in the online sessions. A list of this equipment is provided below. Please review it before applying to the program. (A complete list of equipment for a full class implementation may be found here.)
If you are a middle or high school teacher, we encourage you to apply.
Application deadline extended!
Applications will now be accepted on a rolling basis until all remaining spots are filled. Please see below to download an application.
Recommended Equipment for Online Sessions
- 1 MINDSTORMS® Educational Base Set
- MINDSTORMS® Education NXT Software 2.1 or higher
- 4 Power Functions Motors
- 4 Power Functions 8" Extension Wires
- 4 Power Functions 20" Extension Wires
- 1 Power Functions Battery Holder
- 2 Power Functions IR Receivers
- 1 HiTechnic IRLink Sensor
Other Supporting Materials
- 1 Snapware Container
- 1 Dual Temperature Glue Gun
- 1 Pack Hot Melt Glue Sticks
- 1 Sponge (Detergent-free)
- 2 Small Propellers (ex. Model Boat Propellers, 3/16" Hole)
- 1 Large Propeller (ex. Flying Dragonfly)
- 1 Large Pool Noodle or Foam Peanuts
- 20 Zinc-Coated Washers, 5/16" x 1-1/2"
- 1 Wiffle Ball (optional)